Published on Thursday, 14 January 2010 10:55
Written by Bruce Gale
Conductors need to develop a wide range of skills. The following is a list of the major requirements:
- Be familiar with a wide range of musical styles.
- Be aware of the problems of musical interpretation.
- Be able to read a full score.
- Have a good knowledge of the capabilities of the various instruments in the ensemble.
- Recognise pitch inaccuracy.
- Be able to maintain a proper balance and blend within the ensemble.
- Use clear and unambiguous conducting gestures.
- Establish a rapport with the players that enables him to elicit a cooperative response from the ensemble.